COVID-19 Instructions for Expecting Parents
We have implemented the following actions to protect the health of expecting parents and babies. Items may change as the COVID-19 situation evolves.
Before Coming to the Hospital
- Please let the OB team know if you or anyone in your family has had the following symptoms:
- Fever over 100° F
- Shortness of breath
- Traveled to a foreign country in the last 30 days or been exposed to someone with COVID-19
What if I Test Positive for COVID-19?
Expecting mothers who test positive for COVID-19 will still have the compassionate, personalized care they deserve.
Safety precautions we take include:
- Isolating mother in her own private room
- Partner must wear personal protective equipment at all times, including a mask, eye protection and gown
- The delivering mother is asked to wear a mask as much as possible, including when staff enter the room. The one exception is during delivery when it is difficult for a mother to wear a mask. Because delivery is considered an aerosoling event, staff will wear full protective gear during delivery, including N-95 masks, eye protection and gowns.
Parents are encouraged to speak with their physician regarding newborn care. Mothers may choose to keep their baby with them in their room or have the baby cared for in another room. If the newborn stays in the mother's room:
- Mother must wear a mask when caring for her baby or when her baby is closer than 6 feet
- Hand hygiene must be performed prior to handling the infant
- Breast hygiene must be performed prior to nursing
- Baby will sleep in a crib 6 feet or more away from the mother with a barrier screen between the two
- Baby will be tested for COVID-19 prior to discharge or sooner if symptoms arise
New mom Jess Cooper shares her experience delivering her daughter Lauren while following COVID-19 safety guidelines.
Tours & Education
- For the protection of our mothers and newborns we are not allowing tours of the unit at this time. You can take a virtual tour online here.
- Since we are not able to provide group classes at our facility, educational books for breastfeeding and labor and delivery will be available at the clinic. These educational booklets contain links to videos that can also be watched.
While at the Hospital
- Patients may walk in the hallway if wearing a mask.
- Newborns will be kept in the same room with their mother unless:
- Medical condition of a newborn warrants the newborn to be in nursery.
- Medical procedures needing to be done in the nursery, such as circumcision.
- Patients or significant others may go to the family room if wearing a mask.
- New Beginnings Baby Café lactation support is available on Tuesday evenings.
Please contact the OB unit at (605) 696-8052 with any concerns or questions.