What is LSVT BIG™ therapy?
LSVT BIG therapy is a research-based exercise approach developed from principles of the Parkinson’s specific speech treatment, LSVT LOUD™. It empowers people with Parkinson’s disease to move better.
Research on LSVT BIG has documented improved ratings on tests of motor functioning in people with Parkinson’s disease following treatment. Improvements include:
- Faster walking because of bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Increased trunk rotation
What does the treatment consist of?
LSVT BIG is a standardized treatment protocol that helps establish a life-long habit of BIG practice. It consists of:
- 16 sessions: Four consecutive days a week for four weeks
- Individual one-hour sessions
- Daily homework practice
- Daily carryover exercises
LSVT BIG treatment:
- Trains a single target of amplitude (bigger movement)
- Drives intense and high-effort practice
- Teaches the amount of effort required to produce normal movements
- Translates bigger movements into real-world, everyday activities
- Empowers people with Parkinson’s disease with their potential to improve
Ready to start the LSVT BIG program?
Contact Brookings Health System’s Rehabilitative Services team at (605) 696-8821.