Brookings Health System welcomes community members to volunteer their time and talents to our organization. Interested persons wanting to volunteer in Brookings should enjoy providing assistance to others and a social environment.
Watch & Learn
Hear from one of our long-time volunteers about her experience in the video below.
We currently have Brookings volunteer opportunities and programs in the following areas:
- Inpatient Care: interact with patients in our swing bed area. Provide companionship by playing games, doing puzzles, sharing interests or simply visiting with patients. Volunteers are needed 4-6 p.m. every day.
- Gift Shop: assist with daily operations of the gift shop. Activities will vary depending on ability and interest but include: unpacking merchandise, entering merchandise into the computer, pricing and displaying merchandise, assisting customers and ringing sales, stocking and light housekeeping of gift shop.
- Doula: Doulas at Brookings Health System must complete either a Childbirth Professionals International or Doulas of North America (DONA) training course or its equivalent. Brookings Health System’s doula program helps expectant parents who deliver at New Beginnings Birth Center have healthier, easier births.
- New Beginnings Baby Café: New Beginnings Baby Café is a service offered for breastfeeding mothers which supports them in every aspect of nursing, from starting to weaning and every variation in between. Volunteers are needed to help register participants. Volunteers should be interested in newborns, new mommies and breastfeeding. Baby Café is held Tuesdays, 5:00-7:00 PM.
- Hospice: visit with clients, support family members by sitting with clients to provide respite for caregivers, perform light homemaking tasks or run errands for families. Volunteers need to commit to a minimum of one year.
- The Neighborhoods at Brookview: assist with resident activities, like outings, bingo, arts and crafts, games, baking, reading, writing letters and companionship. Hours that volunteers are needed for activities are Monday through Friday, 9:30-11 a.m. and 1:30-4 p.m. Other opportunities include pet therapy, gardening, and one on one companionship with a resident.
Volunteers are required to complete the following:
- Completed Volunteer Application
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Proof of MMR records (two dates) or receive a booster/titer
(exception: those born in 1957 or earlier)**
- Current 2 step TB skin test (within the last year)**
- Seasonal influenza vaccination**
- Background check*
- OIG check*
- HIPAA video training and signed confidentiality agreement*
- Review Brookings Health System's Infection Control Policy*
- Completed training applicable to a specific volunteer position
*Conducted by Brookings Health System
**Administered by Brookings Health System as needed