Visitors are an important part of the healing process and we encourage family and friends to visit. Visiting hours may differ from unit to unit. Please check with our nursing staff to learn about the specific visiting hours for your nursing unit.
Facility doors are locked at 8 p.m. Visitors may access the building after that time through the entrance to the Emergency Department. Visitors may be asked to provide identification.
- Visitors must be in good health, i.e., no colds, flu, communicable diseases.
- Visitors should wash hands before seeing patients.
- Check for infection control / isolation signs on the patient's door.
- Keep visits short; patients need rest.
- Try to remain quiet. Again, patients need rest.
- Ensure patient privacy. Leave the room during examinations, treatments, and consultations with health care staff.
- Avoid wearing strong perfumes or fragrances.
- Closely supervise children who are visiting.
- Use public restrooms rather than the patient's bathroom.
- Our facilities are tobacco-free. Please refrain from using any tobacco products while on our campus.
- We offer a latex-safe environment to protect individuals with latex allergies. Please use mylar balloons as a safe alternative for gifts, celebrations, etc.
General Care Areas
To allow for patient care needs, visitors in any area may be asked by physicians, nurses or other staff to leave the room. They will inform the visitor when they can return.
Immediate family only is recommended. Visitation may be at the discretion of the nurse. Generally, visitation is limited to no more than two people at one time.
Brookings Health System holds a one-hour, daily quiet time from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. on the Inpatient Care Unit. During this time, patients are encouraged to nap and relax, and visitors are requested to leave to allow patients to rest. Doors to patients' rooms remain closed, blinds are shut, and lights in patients' rooms and the corridors are dimmed. Outside deliveries are prohibited.
Birthing Center & Nursery
New Beginnings Birth Center and nursery are secured units, 24 hours per day. For visiting guidelines, please check with the nursing staff.
For the comfort of patients and visitors, waiting areas with tables, magazines and televisions are located throughout the hospital.